Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Converting char to varchar automatically

On 10/6/14, 6:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Just a heads-up: each of those ALTER's will rewrite the table, so unless your database is tiny this will be a slow process. There's ways to work around that, but they're significantly more complicated.

I think he's trying to get rid of all the blank-padding he's got right
now, so table rewrites are unavoidable.

Right, but there's other ways this could be done without requiring an outage. Like creating the new column with temporary name, put trigger on table, etc, etc.

Having dealt with an environment where downtime was thousands of dollars per minute I've gotten very creative at not taking outages. :)