Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [DOCS] Re: postgresql.org inconsistent (Re: PG replication across DataCenters)

On 12/12/2013 08:18 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

2. Synchronous multi-master configuration

Now back to the original thread:

Knowing the number of forks/projects based on Postgres, maintaining a
list on a wiki list the one below is just easier for everybody:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

That one doesn't even list PostgreSQL-XC.

Then update the page? It is a wiki.

For how man years has it been around now...
Can't even remember any more.

Instead it lists Postgres-R, which has been in koma for how long now...
Can't even remember any more.

Nope, it is actively developed and sponsored by Translattice.

Perhaps this list is not completely up-to-date,

To call that an understatement would be an euphemism.

It's simply misleading. And misleading potential users in search of
solutions for their needs is *bad* for the PostgreSQL project.

Why are you arguing about this instead of just fixing it?

Guys, are you really not aware to *that* point how badly you shoot
yourself (and the PostgreSQL project as a whole) in the foot with that
single - wrong - phrase in the "official" documentation:

"PostgreSQL does not offer this type of replication"

Reading that phrase, the average O***** DBA looking for a cheaper
replacement will stop considering PostgreSQL and that's it. You're out
of business. They won't look any further.

I agree.

"PostgreSQL itself does not provide this as a built-in functionality at
the current stage, but there is an open-source "fork" freely available
under the same license as PostgreSQL that does, for details read:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Postgres-XC";

Is that really too much work? Heck, give me write-authority on the
documentation and I'll do it for you then. You've already wasted *way*

Submit a patch. Is that so hard? I don't understand why you are up in arms about this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579