Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Incorrect index being used

On 09/10/2013 15:20, Albe Laurenz wrote:
Jesse Long wrote:
There is no problem with row visibility, there is only one connection to
the database - the connection I am using to do these selects.
No idea why the plans cannot be used.

It might be helpful to see the table and index definitions.

Thanks you for the advise regarding ANALYZE. I ran ANALYZE on both
tables concerned, but not much changed:
Did you try increasing default_statistics_target before ANALYZE?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Hi Laurenz,

After running VACUUM ANALYZE, the query did run the preferred sub plan, at least once. This was before making any changes.

I did ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS 10000 for each column involved after that (is that what you meant?). But it did not make much difference, but I have read the manual regarding this setting and think I understand it.

Would it be a bad idea to ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS 100000? Would that have a very negative impact on disk usage or performace?

Thanks,
Jesse