Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FW: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure

From: Stephen Brearley
To: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:41 AM
Subject:  FW: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400,
re-installation failure

<snip>

The Problem
On re-installing Postgres, I have not been able to get it to work. During
re-installation I get an error message to say the program exited with an
error code, but otherwise appears to be okay. However, when I go into
pgadmin and enter my password to connect to the server (any password gives
the same response), I get a popup saying 'Server doesn't listen', could
not connect, connection refused etc'. The setup defaults to port 5432
during the install process. I've checked postgresql.conf which has not
been installed, but I've looked at an old copy that I moved into the data
folder, and that looks at port 5432. Navicat also fails to connect.

I would suggest that you focus on getting PostgreSQL to install properly and worry about pulling in your data after this is accomplished.

One option would be to uninstall PostgreSQL, delete the PostgreSQL user, and delete all references to PostgreSQL from the registry.

the install program balks at having a data folder that is not empty,

Before trying to re-install PostgreSQL, rename this data directory to something else so that the new install can proceed with the normal install defaults.

Once your system is "clean", re-install PostgreSQL using the installer defaults.

Until you can get PostgreSQL to install correctly there's no point in messing around with a broken installation.

George

<snip>