Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ODBC constructs

On 5/21/2013 1:11 AM, Dev Kumkar wrote:

Thanks for the comments. Yes objective is to work in C and found libpq
useful but am not sure about psqlODBC.
It would be really great to get comments from community here regarding
comparison between both of them and also performance perspective. Based
on my reading so far libpq is good from performance perspective.

One advantage of an abstraction layer is that it allows you to switch the underlying DBMS with few if any changes to your code. ODBC is just one of many available abstraction layers. So, one thing to consider is if your application is intended to be at all generic, or if it is specifically targeted to PostgreSQL. If the former, then you should consider an abstraction layer; if not, then libpq is fine.

Another determinant for many people is what they already know. If I'm doing a quick, one-time app and I know ODBC but I don't know libpq, I might choose to just stick with what I know and use ODBC.

So, really, the first decision you should make is how general you want your app to be, and how long you expect to use it. Other decisions flow from there.

--
Guy Rouillier