Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID

On 5/12/2013 6:41 PM, David Boreham wrote:
Agreed. I don't go near the likes of Simple, HGST, F-IO, SMART, et al. For me this is SAS and SCSI re-born -- an excuse to charge very high prices for a product not significantly different from a much cheaper mainstream alternative, by exploiting unsophisticated purchasers with tales of enterprise snake oil.

ymmv, but since I am spending my own $$, I'll stick to product I can order from the likes of Newegg and Amazon.

except, those high end enterprise products ARE write-safe while most SATA SSD's aren't. The enterprise SSD's like STEC are engineered for much higher write cycle life times. the whole storage infrastructure has several more 9's on its reliability. those extra 9's don't come cheap. and if [Bigname Vendor] sells you a system with storage controller X and drives Y, you can generally assume they've been tested together. they are also selling their service and support, for better or worse.

SAS has better IO concurrency than SATA, and SAS drives are dual path, which means you can have redundant storage channels and cabling, even if you're doing JBOD..