Search Postgresql Archives

Re: zLinux Load Testing Experience

On 30/04/13 20:46, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Andrew Hastie <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm currently working on a project porting an application from RedHat
Linux on Intel onto IBM zLinux. Our application requires PostgreSQL at
version 9.n, so the PostgreSQL binaries have been built using the standard
build tools from source. Everything appears run correctly. However as part
of performance testing, our IBM and Linux SysProgs have been "poking around"
using strace and have reported the following (which they think is an error
condition) when hooking up to the postmaster processes:-

read(3, 0x3ffff875ee0, 16) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=6, events=POLLIN}], 2, 200) = 0 (Timeout)
read(3, 0x3ffff875ee0, 16) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=6, events=POLLIN}], 2, 10000) = 0
(Timeout)
... repeated many times

That does not look like the postmaster process.  It looks like probably the
background writer process.

It is normal, and doesn't explain high CPU utilization.
yeah: we're probably a couple of steps in front of deep system
profiling.   Helpful things to provide to help diagnose would be:

*) 'explain analyze' of the queries that are eating cpu
*) more details about the hardware -- how many cpu, etc.
*) better definition of 'perceived high CPU utilisation'
*) some correlating performance tests, expecially cpu bound pgbench
tests (pgbench -S)

merlin

I'm not sure how much experience the community has on tuning PostgreSQL running on RedHat which in turn is hosted on an IBM mainframe under VM (using zLinux). So I'm happy to start posting further details and benchmark results and see where we go. Should I be moving this thread over into the pg-performance list, or is pg-general the right place?