Search Postgresql Archives

Re: OK to put temp tablespace on volatile storage or to omit it from backups?

On 2013.04.30 4:55 PM, Yang Zhang wrote:
I would intuit that it's fine, but I just want to make sure there are
no gotchas from a recovery point of view:

If I were to lose my temp tablespace upon system crash, would this
prevent proper crash recovery?

Also, if I were to omit the temp tablespace from the base backup,
would that prevent proper backup recovery?

Although it would be nice if what you said would work, I read in a recent blog post that losing any tablespace would prevent the database server from starting, even if it was only for temporary things. -- Darren Duncan