Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Log messages regarding automatic vacuum and exclusive locks

I'll give using TRUNCATE to clear the tables a try and see what happens.

Dominic Jones

Quoting Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM,  <jonesd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good morning.  I'm seeing several of the following log messages each morning
(for example, there were five this morning, spaced approximately one minute
apart, with the closest interval between messages being 44 seconds).
They're occurring during a daily cycle of deleting all rows from a table and
then repopulating it from another database; the first message came

If all the rows are deleted from the table every time to repopulate it
later, I would suggest using TRUNCATE table_name; instead DELETE FROM
table_name. TRUNCATE does not left any free space in the table so
autovacuum will have nothing to do with it.

LOG:  automatic vacuum of table "x.y.z": could not (re)acquire exclusive
lock for truncate scan

Hence you will not get this messages and BTW it will be faster.

I'm using default settings for autovacuum, with server version 9.2.4.

Some other smaller tables produce the same messages during the same process,
but apparently less frequently.

Any thoughts on the cause?  Chapters 18 and 23 of the documentation provided
some hints, but nothing conclusive.

Thanks in advance,

Dominic Jones

Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev
Database and Software Consultant

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
Phone: USA +1 (415) 867-9984, Russia +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
Skype: gray-hemp
Jabber: gray.ru@xxxxxxxxx