Search Postgresql Archives

Re: using text search

Hi,

W dniu 04/22/2013 05:57 PM, Alfonso Afonso pisze:
Hi Rafal

Maybe you should think or consider to have normalized database to do this kind of select.

I mean that if the keyword is a key you could add a column to table orders and have it ordered and indexed without having to reevaluate the query every time.
I wouldn't like to do that for the following reasons:
1. postgres is actually a "slave" database, where data is copied for www publication from "root" database. the copying is achieved by means of files produced by an export program, over which I don't have any control; not to mention, that I don't have any control over the layour/design/access to the "root" database. Under such circumstances I'd rather keep postgres schema as close to the file format, not to the "things" I do with the data afterwords - just in case "they" choose to change the format. 2. The whole lot is reinitialized by night, so normalization would have to be rerun as frequently. 3. The actual text-in-text search is not going to be very frequent - like once a week, or after every import; I can materialize a VIEW for that purpose, but it would save me an ocasional second query-run, when I spot errors in results of the first. Not much of a gain, but I keep that in mind for the future.

About your question, if you are searching a text inside another text you could obtain bizarre results and consume a lot of resources, but my approximation to your problem
Yes. Now I can see the "lot of resources": the query (like you suggest below) currently runs for 5 minutes and haven't ended, yet. And this is really bad, since my "volumes" are the following:
1. currently KEYWORDS table contains just 4 (four) rows.
2. currently ORDERS contains c.a. 1mln records.
3. currently SELECT * from ORDERS where info ~~ ('%' || 'some-test-pattern' || '%'); complets in 1sec. 4. let's (for the purpose of this emial clearity) assing XX*PAT*XX to: " info ~~ ('%' || 'some-test-pattern' || '%')", for different PATTERNS 5. currently SELECT * from ORDERS where (XX*PAT1*XX) or (XX*PAT2*XX); executes in 1.7sec.

So putting 'some-test-pattern' into a table makes things "nonelinearly" worse.

I can provide EXPLAIN ANALYSE of both cases If that would help, but that will need some time, since the "two table" variant haven't finished in 5min, and I killed it before knowing how long it takes to complete.

-R

would be doing direct select instead of join select (in fact it is almost the same, but more readable on this cases), like:

select o.* from orders as o, keywords as k
where o.info like ('%' || k.phrase || '%')

Hope help you.

Bye for now