Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Role Authentication Failure

On 04/15/2013 09:10 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
I'm doing this all in psql.

Example:

CREATE ROLE carlos LOGIN CREATEDB CREATE ROLE REPLICATION;

I going to assume you actually did:

CREATE ROLE carlos LOGIN CREATEDB CREATEROLE REPLICATION;

otherwise it would fail on the second CREATE ROLE.

Then set password \password carlos

Now I create the ROLE:

CREATE ROLE dba NOLOGIN;

So now I have two roles:

-carlos = user role
-dba = group role

I can login just fine as 'carlos' now with no authentication failure.
But when I do:

GRANT dba TO carlos;

That's the end of 'carlos' being able to login. What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately I do not have a 9.1.x instance handy. I tried the above on 9.0.x and everything worked.

Could you run the above sequence and show the log information from the run?

The only files I have edited in PostgreSQL post installation is
pg_hba.conf & postgres.conf. It's a new 9.1.9 installation with no
data yet. I just don't understand why granting a role to a user
destroys his authentication and even REVOKE his dba group role doesn't
fix 'carlos'.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx