Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG 8.4 to 9.2 upgrade issues with ownership of large objects

On 12/16/2012 11:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
David Wall <d.wall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
In past PG upgrades, we've done a pg_dump on the current version, then a
pg_restore on the new version.  But during the 8.4 to 9.2 upgrade (on
Linux x64), we ran into issues with the permissions associated with the
large objects after the restore.
Large objects didn't have privileges, nor owners, in 8.4.  If you don't
feel like fixing your apps right now, you can return to the previous
behavior by setting the obscurely-named lo_compat_privileges setting in
postgresql.conf.

			regards, tom lane

Thanks for the information, Tom and Adrian.

I am using the latest JDBC driver and have not noted any other issues with large objects accessed, created or deleted using the blob interfaces. What does fixing an app mean or entail? We've always accessed large objects as a simple blob stored and referenced in a table as an OID with both having the same lifetime.