Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [BUGS] main log encoding problem

And regarding mule internal encoding - reading about Mule
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UnicodeEncoding I found:
/In future (probably Emacs 22), Mule will use an internal encoding
which is a UTF-8 encoding of a superset of Unicode. /
So I still see UTF-8 as a common denominator for all the encodings.
I am not aware of any characters absent in Unicode. Can you please
provide some examples of these that can results in lossy conversion?
You can google by "encoding "EUC_JP" has no equivalent in "UTF8"" or
some such to find such an example. In this case PostgreSQL just throw
an error. For frontend/backend encoding conversion this is fine. But
what should we do for logs? Apparently we cannot throw an error here.

"Unification" is another problem. Some kanji characters of CJK are
"unified" in Unicode. The idea of unification is, if kanji A in China,
B in Japan, C in Korea looks "similar" unify ABC to D. This is a great
space saving:-) The price of this is inablity of
round-trip-conversion. You can convert A, B or C to D, but you cannot
convert D to A/B/C.

BTW, I'm not stick with mule-internal encoding. What we need here is a
"super" encoding which could include any existing encodings without
information loss. For this purpose, I think we can even invent a new
encoding(maybe something like very first prposal of ISO/IEC
10646?). However, using UTF-8 for this purpose seems to be just a
disaster to me.

Ok, maybe the time of real universal encoding has not yet come. Then we maybe just should add a new parameter "log_encoding" (UTF-8 by default) to postgresql.conf. And to use this encoding consistently within logging_collector.
If this encoding is not available then fall back to 7-bit ASCII.