Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: Procedural Languages

Michael Nolan wrote:
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Darren Duncan <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Michael Nolan wrote:

        PL/pgSQL and PL/perlu are the only ones I use.  I use PL/perlu
        primarily to launch shell scripts from triggers, for example to
        update an external website when a row in a table has been
        inserted, deleted or updated.

    There is also another way to do what you describe that might be more
    secure.

    Rather than having the DBMS launch shell scripts directly, instead
    use LISTEN/NOTIFY messaging, where the trigger posts a message, and
    you have an ordinary client script listening for them, and the
    client script launches the shell scripts when it gets a message.

    This way, you need a persistent client script, but you don't need to
    invoke the shell in the DBMS ... or use the untrusted version of
    PL/Perl if that's all it was for.

Anybody have examples of a persistent client script?

Not a whole one. But you can make a simple daemon in Perl, either by hand or using some CPAN module.

The Postgres-related part though, see http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-Pg/Pg.pm#pg_notifies for how the client script talks to Postgres for this message passing.

Hopefully that'll answer the more interesting part for you.

-- Darren Duncan