Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Usability write-up - looking at Pg, especially PgAdmin-III and Pg on Windows, from an inexperienced user PoV

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 19:15 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 25/05/2012 6:55 PM, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> > Together with an earlier study about common PostgreSQL pitfalls, I've
> > created an article on the wiki:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Usability_reviews
> >
> > However, I suspect posting long rants like this won't get us very far.
> > Instead, I think these problems should be posted one by one, with
> > proposed solutions, so they can be discussed in detail without
> > distractions. Once there seems to be a consensus for a solution, add a
> > TODO list item -- I suspect most of these items are quite easy to
> > solve in code, once it's clear *how* to address them. And the TODO
> > list has been short of simple items recently.
>
> You're quite right. FWIW, it wasn't intended to be a long rant - I
> started out writing a point-by-point review of a few usability issues -
> though it certainly turned into a long rant as I started seeing more and
> more issues.

And there are certainly more issues than the ones you talked about.

I'm really interested in knowing them, to be able to fix them.

> It's my intention to break that down into specific problem areas and
> points, I just thought it was worth getting a few initial impressions too.

Not sure it's the best way because it's difficult, if not impossible, to
answer some points (for example "some things very counter-intuitive").

Anyway, please, start some threads on pgadmin-hackers, so that we can
start fixing issues, and bugs you've found.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info