Search Postgresql Archives

Re: main log encoding problem

On 05/23/2012 09:15 AM, yi huang wrote:
I'm using postgresql 9.1.3 from debian squeeze-backports with zh_CN.UTF-8 locale, i find my main log (which is "/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.1-main.log") contains "???" which indicate some sort of charset encoding problem.

It's a known issue, I'm afraid. The PostgreSQL postmaster logs in the system locale, and the PostgreSQL backends log in whatever encoding their database is in. They all write to the same log file, producing a log file full of mixed encoding data that'll choke many text editors.

If you force your editor to re-interpret the file according to the encoding your database(s) are in, this may help.

In the future it's possible that this may be fixed by logging output to different files on a per-database basis or by converting the text encoding of log messages, but no agreement has been reached on the correct approach and nobody has stepped up to implement it.

--
Craig Ringer