Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why are pg_restore taking that long ?

One thing you may want to look at (if this is PG 8.4.x) is the number of
large objects in pg_largeobjects.  If your apps don't use large objects
this is not relevant.  If they do, then it may be.  I've noticed that
pg_restore no longer reports the restoration of individual LO items.  It
used to but no longer.  That means that even with multiple '-v' options
specified it appears that the restore has hung even though it is in fact
adding large objects all the while.  I've also noticed that I can no longer
see the objects as they are added to the db.  I wonder if their restoration
got moved to a single transaction?

Anyway, if you are seeing no activity at the end of the restore for quite
a while you may want to see if large objects are the reason.

The dump are from a version 9.0.7 and it's being restored in a version 9.1.3. There are no large objects.

I'm now doing another restore with the -v switch, and hopefully it will show what it is doing at the end. There are Bucardo triggers in the database. Perhaps it can be the reason, and it should be restored with the "--disable-triggers" switch ?

It would be neat if there was a timestamp on the pg_restore steps in verbose mode.

Poul