Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Vacuum does not show in pg_stat_all_tables

On 05/15/2012 05:30 AM, Condor wrote:

I use vacuum full because I have huge tables that every night is deleted (truncated)
and I want my space back.
Truncate does reclaim space. Bulk deletes do not. If you are doing bulk deletes since you need to delete *almost* everything consider using "cluster" to clean up. It is much faster and gives you new unbloated indexes. You may find pg_reorg of interest as well.

I did not use autovacuum because in past some times I lost
data when is inserted. In past is happened once every month or two some record just missing.

This issue, perhaps?:
http://www.databasesoup.com/2012/03/postgres-update-release-data-loss-and.html

In which case the data was not actually lost but could be missing from the index (with the obvious potential for resulting corruption). It has been fixed in current versions.

Cheers,
Steve