Search Postgresql Archives

Re: what Linux to run

On 3/3/2012 7:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

[ raised eyebrow... ]  As the person responsible for the packaging
you're dissing, I'd be interested to know exactly why you feel that
the Red Hat/CentOS PG packages "can never be trusted".  Certainly they
tend to be from older release branches as a result of Red Hat's desire
to not break applications after a RHEL branch is released, but they're
not generally broken AFAIK.

No dissing intended. I didn't say or mean that OS-delivered PG builds were generally broken (although I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see that happen in some distributions, present company excluded).

I'm concerned about things like :

a) Picking a sufficiently recent version to get the benefit of performance optimizations, new features and bug fixes.
b) Picking a sufficiently old version to reduce the risk of instability.
c) Picking a version that is compatible with the on-disk data I already have on some set of existing production machines. d) Deciding which point releases contain fixes that are relevant to our deployment.

Respectfully, I don't trust you to come to the correct choice on these issues for me every time, or even once.

I stick by my opinion that anyone who goes with the OS-bundled version of a database server, for any sort of serious production use, is making a mistake.