Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Quick-and-Dirty Data Entry with LibreOffice3?

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

Eeek! you NEVER directly access the postgres data files.  rather, you
connect to postgres via a socket, and ask it to fetch the data for you,
thats just how it works.

  Well, when the LO odbc window asks for the location of the database to which
to connect, what do I tell it?

to use ODBC, you'd need to give it the DSN information, I don't know the
exact format, but in general, its something like

	[PostgreSQL]
	Description         = Postgres Database FRED
	Driver              = PostgreSQL
	Trace               = Yes
	TraceFile           = sql.log
	Database            = FRED
	Servername          = localhost
	UserName            = fred
	Password            =
	Port                = 5432

  I'm not presented with an opportunity to offer any of this information
anywhere.

  Guess the most practical thing to do is give up trying to use LO as a
front end. I'll just write INSTALL INTO ... statements in emacs then use
psql to read them into the table.

Thanks all,

Rich