Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Security setup.

The problem with trust is that it means that any user can type in any other users login name and get access without knowing his password. Even if your app is the only access point to the database, you still have to worry about a user installing psql or other client onto his desktop and accessing the database directly.

If your application is logging in, you still don't want to use trust because you can put the password into the application. The level of security that you require will depend a lot on the application infrastructure. For example, if you are using an application server then you can limit access of the database to the IP address of the app server and the DBA's computer. That way you don't have to worry about anybody installing a rogue client.

Sim