Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Query regarding PostGre database

On 08/17/11 8:52 PM, Navin Chandra wrote:
I am an application developer, want to use ‘PostGre’ as backend.

Please note, there is no such thing as PostGre. There is PostgreSQL, sometimes called Postgres for short.

May I know what is the maximum possible number of concurrent users?

A better question is, whats the optimal number of concurrent query operations that can be executed simultaneously to achieve maximum throughput. Under most conditions, you'll get MORE queries per second total throughput if you only try and execute between N and 2*N queries at a time. where N is the number of CPU cores or hardware threads you have, assuming your storage subsystem has sufficient performance for your I/O workload.

With connecting pooling, like pg_bouncer, you could have 1000s of concurrent users on a reasonable sized server, as long as most of them are idle most of the time. I don't typically allow more than 100 or so actual connections to a given SQL server if I can avoid it by the use of pooling.