Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Not Seeing Syntax Error

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rich Shepard
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:27 PM
To: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Not Seeing Syntax Error

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Thom Brown wrote:

> The error message points to the problem.  No value, not even NULL, has
> been specified for 5th column.  Either put DEFAULT or NULL in there.
> You can't put nothing.

   I was under the impression (obviously wrong) that a blank field was
accepted as a NULL.

Thanks,

Rich

To be honest I was too and maybe I somehow implied that to you.  Anyway, I
believe if you are dealing with CSV import then you are correct but
apparently SQL is not as forgiving.  I use a third-party application to
import my CSV usually so whether that observation applies to PSQL or other
mechanisms (like pg_loader) I cannot say.

David J.