Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using Postgresql as application server

David Johnston wrote:
I believe that it is ideal for Postgres to be computationally complete in
that one *could* use it to implement a complete application.  That isn't
to say one should do this as a matter of course, good to use appropriate
tools for a >>job, but that it should at least be possible if one wanted
to. -- Darren Duncan

So who wants to fund the effort to create the necessary infrastructure to
display a programmer-defined user interface screen (think of the "Forms"
module in Microsoft Access)?  Or are you expecting the end-user to open up
PgAdmin and type "SELECT hello_world();".  I would argue that because
PostgreSQL is able to talk with many languages that can create these "Forms"
(or even - through extensions - a web-browser) that such functionality is NOT
DESIREABLE and thus PostgreSQL would not ideally be "computationally
complete" by that definition.

I mean computationally complete in that Postgres is an application-level virtual machine within which it is technically possible to write an emulator for any given computationally complete language using just stock Postgres and stock PLs, such that say you can just feed a self-contained script to psql and that this script is an application capable of doing anything. I'm not saying that it has to perform well but just be possible.

I certainly don't expect any interface-related higher level libraries from this effort, but the foundation should be there so users can create their own just by writing an installable Postgres extension consisting of PL procedures etc that don't need a C compiler.

I believe we basically have all the foundation already, with maybe procedures executable outside transactions being the last major part.

-- Darren Duncan