Search Postgresql Archives

Re: upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4

On 08/08/11 4:11 PM, Claire Chang wrote:
I am going to upgrade our PostgresSQL server from 8.3 to 8.4. Is there any application code change required? I did some google searches and can't find any.

to what David already said, I will add this observation...

8.4 is pickier about implied type conversions... if you have code that assumes it can mix types like text and numeric operations, it may require adding some explicit type casting, or it will throw errors. thats the only major thing I've seen that impacts applications.

I assume you know that you need to do a pg_dumpall of your 8.3 data then load it onto your new 8.4 database cluster, right?