Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening

On 06/24/11 4:51 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
And there's a downside too - with prepared statements the the planner
can't use the actual parameter values to choose the plan (it does not
know them), so it may choose a plan that's good on average but sucks for
some parameter values.

indeed, this can really bite you on partitioned tables. My lead Oracle programmer would like to see support for prepared statements that are parsed but not preplanned... our standard coding model has all the queries prepared up front as part of process initialization, and queries executed against these prepared statements.