Search Postgresql Archives

Re: random backend crashes - how to debug ( Is crash dump handler released ? )

On 06/14/2011 10:26 PM, BangarRaju Vadapalli wrote:
Hi Everybody,

We are using PostGRE 8.4 version and experiencing random backend
crashes. We have enabled logging and are able to see some logging
happening in pg_log directory but not of much use. Here are the logs.

Thankyou for collecting the logs and including your version. A little more information would be helpful, like the exact version, your OS and architecture, etc. See this link for a list of suggested information:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

I searched online and found crash dump handler idea has been proposed
and patch for that has already been released if I am not wrong.

It is integrated into PostgreSQL 9.0 as a core part of the server.

There's no reason it can't be compiled for PostgreSQL 8.4, though I never tested that. It shouldn't take long so I'll give it a go and get back to you.

Could
anyone please detail the steps to install crash dump handler in windows?
Also could you please help me with the ways to debug the crashes
happening as shown above.

The first thing to do is to try to figure out if they're really random, or if they're related to a particular query or event. Enable more detailed logging in PostgreSQL - at least query logging, possibly also additional debug levels - and examine the logs to see if you can find a pattern.

--
Craig Ringer