Search Postgresql Archives

Re: repost: unable to install PG

On 22/05/2011 10:28 PM, Wei wrote:
When I install the 9.0.x version on my Window Visita Laptop, I get the error. The "Windows Scripting Host" is up. So it is not the topic of this article: http://1stopit.blogspot.com/2011/01/postgresql-83-and-84-fails-to-install.html

Tip for mailing list communication: Don't say "the error". Explain the exact text of the error. You *did* do one of the other really important things, which is to always link to any article or documentation when you mention it so people know exactly what you are talking about.

The usual culprit in this situation is virus scanning software. Consider disabling it for the installation.

By the way, my previous message to you was a brisk to the point of being borderline rude. That wasn't fair; you've clearly done at least a bit of reading, and just need to work on your communication skills. It's easy for me as a lifetime English speaker who's been on mailing lists for a long time to think things are easy and obvious when they are not and to get frustrated - but that frustration isn't always reasonable when I look at things from where you might be coming from.

Another random little tip: You will also discover that many people will not see your message if you reply to an existing, unrelated thread they're not interested in. This is true even if you change the subject line, because many email programs "thread" messages using hidden information on which message is a reply to which other message. Nobody expects you to know that and it's not important, but it *is* helpful to know, because it means that creating a blank new message to the mailing list will be more likely to be read than a reply to an unrelated topic. Weird, isn't it?

--
Craig Ringer