Search Postgresql Archives

Re: question about readonly instances

On 05/19/2011 03:25 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

I have no idea how expensive it is, but fortunately that's not my
problem :) I was only asked about the possibility of running Postgres
that way.
And by the way: how expensive is that?

something like US$23000 per CPU core for the RAC option for Oracle
Enterprise. so a 100 node cluster with dual quadcore cpus would be 800
CPUs would be .... my head hurts. oh, thats on top of the oracle
enterprise license ($47K/core), and features like Partitioning are extra
too. support is about 25%/year additional.

Surely that has to be "marketing prices" ... you know, the ones they offer to knock down to 25% early in negotiations to give you a "special deal" and you land up paying about 5% of by the time you sign, so you're convinced you're getting some amazingly good price when you're just paying what everyone pays.

Surely. Please tell me it's so. Our government (Australia) uses lots of Oracle, and while I knew it was expensive, it's a whole new level of horror to think it's that kind of money.

Hopefully it turns out to be more like Microsoft. Here in Australia, Windows 7 Pro OEM costs $149 and Office 2010 pro costs 395.00 (!!) . On the Microsoft website, a windows 7 pro *upgrade* costs $399 and Office 2010 Pro costs 899.00. The pricing differences are jaw-droppingly insane. Yet the OEM prices I listed are the _most_ that almost anybody will pay; most people pay much less than that by buying Windows and Office via a large tier-1 OEM vendor that will often pay $50 or less for Windows. I'm not saying it's fair or reasonable, just that the list price on the vendor website has nothing to do with the real price anyone actually pays.

In addition to allowing people to feel like they're getting big discounts, the other reason for insanely high list prices appears to be tax ... er ... adjustment. If you "donate" 100 licenses of your software to a school/non-profit/etc, you want to put the largest possible dollar value on that donation to claim it as a tax write-off. So you publish jaw-droppingly inflated RRPs, and use those to calculate your donation. Wow, we just donated 100 * 899 = $89,000 of software to that school for a real cost of - essentially nothing.

Health care pricing in the USA seems to be similarly affected by list-price inflation to permit discounting. Insurers want to claim "95% discounts!" so official list prices are massively, monsterously inflated to make such discounts possible. Pity for you if you don't have insurance...

--
Craig Ringer