Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Massive delete from a live production DB

Am 12.05.2011 16:38, schrieb Phoenix Kiula:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Eric Ndengang
<eric.ndengang_foyet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Am 12.05.2011 16:23, schrieb Phoenix Kiula:
Hi

Been reading some old threads (pre 9.x version) and it seems that the
consensus is to avoid doing massive deletes from a table as it'll
create so much unrecoverable space/gaps that vacuum full would be
needed. Etc.

Instead, we might as well do a dump/restore. Faster, cleaner.

This is all well and good, but what about a situation where the
database is in production and cannot be brought down for this
operation or even a cluster?

Any ideas on what I could do without losing all the live updates? I
need to get rid of about 11% of a 150 million rows of database, with
each row being nearly 1 to 5 KB in size...

Thanks! Version is 9.0.4.

Hey,
try to use pg_reorg -->  http://reorg.projects.postgresql.org
but the table must get a primary key.
regards

Thanks Eric.

I do have a primary key.

I am on version 9.0.4. Will pg_reorg work with this version too? The
example on that website  mentions 8.3.

Also, it it a fast process that does not consume too much resource?
This DB is behind a very high traffic website, so I cannot have a
CLUSTER alternative like pg_reog making my DB very slow concurrently.

How does one install the patch easily on CentOS (Linux) 64 bit?

Thanks!
Hi,

/* I am on version 9.0.4. Will pg_reorg work with this version too? The
example on that website  mentions 8.3. */

I used to use pg_reorg on version 8.4.8 and regarding the documentation it will also work with the 9.0 version.

/* How does one install the patch easily on CentOS (Linux) 64 bit? */

You can easily install it as a contrib . Just read the installation guide or the man Page.

/*

Also, it it a fast process that does not consume too much resource?
This DB is behind a very high traffic website, so I cannot have a
CLUSTER alternative like pg_reog making my DB very slow concurrently.*/

Yes, it's a fast process that is neither time nor resource consumming. The reorgainization of a table with about 60 million could take less than 8 minutes without higher cpu cost.

cheers

--
Eric Ndengang
Datenbankadministrator

Affinitas GmbH  |  Kohlfurter Straße 41/43  |  10999 Berlin  |  Germany
email: eric.ndengang_foyet@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | tel: +49.(0)30. 991 949 5 0  |  www.edarling.de

Geschäftsführer: Lukas Brosseder, David Khalil, Kai Rieke, Christian Vollmann
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Berlin, HRB 115958

Real People:          www.edarling.de/echte-paare
Real Love:            www.youtube.de/edarling
Real Science:         www.edarling.org