Search Postgresql Archives

Re: full text search to_tsquery performance with ispell dictionary

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Stanislav Raskin wrote:

Yes, loading a large dictionary is known to be a fairly expensive
operation.  There's been discussions about how to make it cheaper, but
nothing's been done yet.

           regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

thanks for the quick response. Bad news for me ;(
We develop ajax-driven web apps, which sort of rely on quick calls to data
services. Each call to a service opens a new connection. This makes the
search service, if using fts and ispell, about 100 times slower than a
"dumb" ILIKE-implementation.

Is there any way of hack or compromise to achieve good performance without
losing fts ability?
I am thinking, for example, of a way to permanently keep a loaded
dictionary in memory instead of loading it for every connection. As I
wrote in response to Pavel Stehule's post, connection pooling is not
really an option.
Our front-end is strictly PHP, so I was thinking about using a single
persistent connection
(http://de.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-pconnect.php) for all calls. Is
there some sort of major disadvantage in this approach from the database
point of view?

Kind regards

--

Stanislav Raskin