Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

On 2011-04-28 21:34, Robert Treat wrote:

We have an open task to work on this same problem. What we had cobbled
together so far was some sql which converted the xlog value into an
integer (it's pretty ugly, but I could send it over if you think it
would help), which we could then stick in a monitoring system and
graph. To get an idea of traffic, I just multiplied this by 16MB. End
result ended up looking like this:
https://circonus.com/shared/graphs/9497d906-4c5b-e6d2-bf91-d8869e7c1668/OnxdZG

Couldn't decide on exactly where to go from there. That's graphing
MB/sec, which does map easily in my mind, since xlogs streams are in
16mb bursts. It would make more sense for wal streaming though (but in
that case we'd probably want to measure it more precisely).
If the goal is predicting the EOL of the SSD, graphing IO to the disk/partition, or perhaps graphing the smart values containing write cycles/GBs written/lifetime curve could work. Both monitoring disk IO (and iops) as well as smart values can be done with Symon: example picture with smart attributes graphed at http://i.imgur.com/T4NAq.png - the actual smart values for a SSD firmware would have to be configured though, since they vary a lot.

(*) http://www.xs4all.nl/~wpd/symon/

--
Yeb Havinga
http://www.mgrid.net/