Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

On 14/04/11 23:25, Vick Khera wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Benjamin Smith
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I was wondering if anybody here could comment on the benefits of SSD
    in similar, high-demand rich schema situations?

For the last several months, I've been using Texas Memory Systems RamSAN
620 drives on my main DB servers.  Having near zero seek times has been
a tremendous boon to our performance, and will have pretty much paid for
themselves within the next couple of months.  Ie, the "throw hardware at
it" solution worked really well :)

hey, I wonder - could you, or someone else with some SSD drives running their DBs in production - check the SMART attributes for their drives?

In particular, the Media_Wearout_Indicator - this starts at 100 and goes down towards 1 as the erase cycles add up..

So you can calculate the total estimated lifetime by looking at how much has been used up over how long you've been using the drive in production.

I have a very cheap 64GB consumer SSD used in a personal server (so not in serious production use, but it does see some traffic), and I note that after a year it's still on 100%!

Toby