Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

Le 14/04/2011 10:54, John R Pierce a écrit :
On 04/14/11 1:35 AM, Henry C. wrote:
 Hint: don't use cheap SSDs - cough up and use Intel.

aren't most of the Intel SSD's still MLC, and still have performance and
reliability issues with sustained small block random writes such as are
generated by database servers?   the enterprise grade SLC SSD drives are
things like STEC ZeusIOPS and Seagate Pulsar. and the majority of them
end up in EMC and other big iron SAN systems.

I thnik Henry is referring to Intel's X25-E line. They are SLC, enterprise grade.
Quite expensive though, ~700 euros for the 64GB version.
We have one of them in a production server (light load), it works very well so far. Performance gain versus WD Raptor RAID array is huge. I never tried to quantify it.

Arnaud