Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

On 04/13/11 9:19 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:

The speed benefits of SSDs as benchmarked would seem incredible. Can anybody comment on SSD benefits and problems in real life use?

I maintain some 100 databases on 3 servers, with 32 GB of RAM each and an extremely rich, complex schema. (300+ normalized tables)

I was wondering if anybody here could comment on the benefits of SSD in similar, high-demand rich schema situations?

consumer grade MLC SSD's will crash and burn in short order under a heavy transactional workload characterized by sustained small block random writes.

The enterprise grade SLC SSDs' will perform very nicely, but they are very very expensive, and found in high end enterprise database servers like Oracle's Exadata machines.