Search Postgresql Archives

database backup throws errors

Hi folks,

weÂre running PostgreSQL 8.4.7 for an CRM System on a Linux machine. Database contains about 540 tables with summary about 2.5 million records. Since this weeks the backup stops with an error message always at the same table. ItÂs irrelevant what tool we use to backup (pgAdmin III, pg_dump from a windows client; backup on the Linux machine directly, …), error stays the same.

On Windows pg_dump reports:

pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "gdvaus" failed: PQgetCopyData() failed.

pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ This probably means the server terminated abnormally

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ before or while processing the request.

pg_dump: The command was: COPY iwm.gdvaus (nvirtnr, ngesell, ngdvsatz, nimplauf, ngdvteilsatz, cagentur, cgesellnr, cpolnn, csatzart, cspartenr, iadresskz, ifolgenr, nfiliale, nfilaender, msatz) TO stdout;

pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

The log contains the following lines:

2011-04-05 17:57:35 CEST STATEMENT:Â COPY iwm.gdvaus (nvirtnr, ngesell, ngdvsatz, nimplauf, ngdvteilsatz, cagentur, cgesellnr, cpolnn, csatzart, cspartenr, iadresskz, ifolgenr, nfiliale, nfilaender, msatz) TO stdout;

2011-04-05 17:57:35 CEST LOG:Â SSL-error: unsafe legacy renegotiation disabled

While searching for a solution to the first notification “PQgetCopyData() failed” I found some notes about a possible OOM Kill so I monitored RAM Usage during the backup and found out that this is not the reason; none of the PostgreSQL processes catches more than about 15 MB and thereÂs enough free Memory left.

Furthermore, I found a hint to the SSL connection problem. It was recommended to add the parameter ssl_renegotiation_limit with value 0 to postgresql.conf to turn off the SSL renegotiation. As I do this, database system will not start again.

Does anyone have some more hints for me?

Thanks a lot for all responses.

Greetings

Michael

--