Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ..horribly documented, inefficient, user-hostile, impossible to maintain interpreted language..

On 04/05/11 9:40 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM, John R Pierce<pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I only used a few of those adjectives, and prefixed them by hypothetical.
to be honest, I would expect most languages commonly used in web service
environments to be more efficient at string processing than pl/pgsql, and I
really can't think of a counterexample off the top of my head.
most language *are* more efficient at string processing but that's not
the whole story, since to get at that benefit you typically have to:

1. application makes query to get the data
2. database searches for data, converts it to wire format and sends it
through protocol to libpq
3. libpq wrapper converts it to language native string (unless you are in C)
4. language string processing takes place
5. data is re-stacked into queries and sent back to the database over
wire format via protocol
6. database writes it out

in the OP's case, he was asking about strings he was inserting into postgres, currently he was inserting them as a single long field, but he wanted to break them up into multiple fields. So, he could send the long string to a pgsql function that did the dicing up, or he could dice up the string first then send the pieces to fields of a database. I was expressing the opinion that its highly likely the 2nd solution would work better, and I guess my bit of misplaced humor clouded that message.