Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ..horribly documented, inefficient, user-hostile, impossible to maintain interpreted language..

On Monday 04 April 2011 21:20:51 John R Pierce wrote:
> On 04/04/11 12:07 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
> > ..horribly documented, inefficient, user-hostile, impossible to
> > maintain interpreted language..
> > to whom might you be alluding to
>
> I only used a few of those adjectives, and prefixed them by
> hypothetical.   to be honest, I would expect most languages commonly
> used in web service environments to be more efficient at string
> processing than pl/pgsql, and I really can't think of a counterexample
> off the top of my head.

I had to move a piece of regexp/replace logic from PHP into pl/pgsql because
PHP couldn't handle more than abt. 50 replacements in one text unit, instead
it just dumped the text in the bit bucket. It was probably a memory allocation
problem. On the other hand pl/pgsql has had no problem with the logic.

Documentation here:

<http://solumslekt.org/blog/?p=23>

regards, Leif