Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to deal with field on the database that stores variable array's?

On 01/01/11 12:35 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:
Hi,

I need to develop a database table that will aceept a variable array field. My doubt is how to deal with updates on the array field. How can I store the information of the array fields? There any examples on the Internet on how to deal with
this subject?

What I mean with variable array is:

array(
      'name' => 'Don',
      'age'  => '31'
     );

array(
      'name' => 'Peter',
      'age'  => '28',
      'car'  => 'ford',
      'km'   => '2000'
     );

thats very non-relational, and will make queries and updates very difficult and messy, as well as making data integrity impossible to enforce.

is there a predetermined number of attributes, even if they may not be present for a given entry? I would have a Person table which has all the fields that most/all persons would have, like persons(id, name, age, address, phone, etc), then for optional attributes a seperate table for each attribute collection like car(person_id, brand, model, mileage,...).