Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore

Adrian,

thank you.

I am not sure I follow. Are you taking a pg_dump of a 9.0 database using a
9.0
version of pg_dump and trying to restore to a 8.4.3 database or are using
the
9.0 pg_dump against the 8.4.3 server and then restoring back to it? In
either
case the problem you see above will probably be only the first.

I used only 9.0 dump and restore. I did the following:

1. Created backup copy from 8.4.3 using  9.0 pg_dump
2. Restored from this backup to 8.4.3 using 9.0 pg_restore

9.0 pg_restore fails since 8.4.3 server reports invalid sql command  in
create
language plpgsql  statement. previous pg_restores worked OK.
Is this 9.0 pg_restore bug ?

Going backwards
using pg_dump/pg_restore is not guaranteed to work. Your best hope if you
must
do that is to do the dump in plain text format and change the problems
manually
as you proceed.

Application executes  9.0 pg_dump/pg_restore
Application can connect to different servers starting and 8.1 and need to
able for backup/restore for every this server.
For single backup copy, dump and restore are executed for same server
version,

e.q backup created from site A using Postgres version x  will used to
restore
only to this site for same postgres version x
Backup created from site B using Postgres version y will used to restore
only to
this site to same Postgres version y

How to support backup restore for all >=8.1 servers using single
pg_dump/pg_restore ?

Currently I looks like for 8.4 serves 9.0 backup/restore cannot used.

Andrus.