Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can Postgres Not Do This Safely ?!?

On 10/29/2010 07:32 AM, Karl Pickett wrote:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Adrian Klaver<adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Thursday 28 October 2010 7:04:48 pm Karl Pickett wrote:
Hello Postgres Hackers,

We have a simple 'event log' table that is insert only (by multiple
concurrent clients).  It has an integer primary key.  We want to do
incremental queries of this table every 5 minutes or so, i.e. "select
* from events where id>  LAST_ID_I_GOT" to insert into a separate
reporting database.  The problem is, this simple approach has a race
that will forever skip uncommitted events.  I.e., if 5000 was
committed sooner than 4999, and we get 5000, we will never go back and
get 4999 when it finally commits.  How can we solve this?  Basically
it's a phantom row problem but it spans transactions.

I looked at checking the internal 'xmin' column but the docs say that
is 32 bit, and something like 'txid_current_snapshot' returns a 64 bit
value.  I don't get it.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-info.html#FUNCTIONS-TXID-SNAPSHOT-PARTS
"The internal transaction ID type (xid) is 32 bits wide and wraps around every 4
billion transactions. However, these functions export a 64-bit format that is
extended with an "epoch" counter so it will not wrap around during the life of
an installation. The data type used by these functions, txid_snapshot, stores
information about transaction ID visibility at a particular moment in time. Its
components are described in Table 9-53. "

So:
Current snapshot:

test=>  SELECT txid_current_snapshot();
  txid_current_snapshot
-----------------------
  5098:5098:

xmin of snapshot:
test=>  SELECT txid_snapshot_xmin(txid_current_snapshot());
  txid_snapshot_xmin
--------------------
               5098
(1 row)

So what happens when txid_snapshot_xmin() goes over 4 billion, and the
table's xmin doesn't?  You can't compare a 32 bit value that rolls
over to a 64 bit that doesn't.

The long explanation is here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND

The short version as I understand it is that if everything is working correctly the XID(hence xmin) values exist in a continuous loop where 2 billion are in the past and 2 billion are in the future(assuming default settings). At some point the old values are frozen i.e. replaced with a special FrozenXID. This would mean that the *snapshot functions should only return currently valid xmins. Since I have never rolled over a database I can only speak to theory as I understand it.

All I want to is make sure I skip over any
rows that are newer than the oldest currently running transaction.
Has nobody else run into this before?

Thank you very much.

--
Karl Pickett