Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Constraint: string length must be 32 chars

Alexander Farber wrote:
Hello, really good advices here! But -

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just read the "anonymously" part, so I take it you have ruled out
recording the given coordinate components directly, in multiple columns
presumably?  Otherwise it seems you could then do a) a composite key and b)
queries directly against coordinate values.

what do you mean here? Do you suggest using line segments
instead of points in my records or something else?

Regards
Alex

Sorry Alexander, I have to confess here and now that I'm not familiar with GPS data. My presumption was that it was represented as something like latitude, longitude (,alitutde?, others?), and that while those would surely hash nicely with md5 I thought you would be loosing the inherent information of the position.