Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [9.0] hot standby plus streaming replication

Fujii Masao ha scritto:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Michele Petrazzo - Unipex
<michele.petrazzo@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
- why in my tests, _whitout_ common direcotory, master and slave
keep in sync also if I shutdown slave, add (in my last tests)
something about 100k record (although little ones) on the master
and then after woke up the slave in about 2/3 seconds I have all
the dbs in sync?

Because the master had the WAL files containing that 100k record in
its pg_xlog directory. If those WAL files were unfortunately removed
 from the master before you started the standby, the standby would
not have been in sync with the master.

This was the explain that I was looking for!
Do you know if there is a talk or a "best practice" about keep in sync a
master/slave couple without a shared directory? Something that talk
about the number of a typical data that can be keep in sync.
Can be very useful and more simple to maintain an installation without a
shared than a one with it and I think that more users will be happy with!

You can specify how many WAL files you'd keep in the master by using
wal_keep_segments parameter.
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-wal.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-REPLICATION

Seen!
Thanks a lot,