Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [9.0] hot standby plus streaming replication

Gabriele Bartolini ha scritto:
Ciao Michele,

Ciao ;)

both server (master and standby) need a common directory where
read

and write the wal files?

Not necessarily. You can use for instance scp to ship the WAL file
from the master to the standby using the network.

Thanks for the explain, but...
- why in my tests, _whitout_ common direcotory, master and slave keep in
sync also if I shutdown slave, add (in my last tests) something about
100k record (although little ones) on the master and then after woke up
the slave in about 2/3 seconds I have all the dbs in sync? It's just
luck or there are something that I don't understand?
- If I have to copy (scp / rsync / etc...) the files, which interval I
have to follow? And also, when the slave will read these files? There
are something like inotify or I have to say to slave "my friend, there
are updates from master. Keep in sync!"

Just another question about replication: there is the possibility
build a sync between a 32 and a 64 bit (on linux)?

As stated in the documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/warm-standby.html), the
hardware architecture must be the same.

If I read before this page, I spared a lot of tries!

Hope this helps.

Ciao, Gabriele

Thanks a lot,
Michele

P.s. Glad to see that also in Italy there are PostgreSQL guru ;)