Search Postgresql Archives

Re: High Availability with Postgres

On 06/22/10 1:58 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
John R Pierce<pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
failure modes can
include things like failing fans (which will be detected, resulting in a
server shutdown if too many fail), power supply failure (redundant PSUs, but
I've seen the power combining circuitry fail).   Any of these sorts of
failures will result in a failover without corrupting the data.

and of course, intentional planned failovers to do OS maintenance...  you
patch the standby system, fail over to it and verify its good, then patch
the other system.
Ah, I see the use case much better now, thank you. And I begin too see
how expensive reaching such a goal is, too. Going from "I can lose this
many transactions" to "No data lost, ever" is at that price, though.

yeah. generally when money is involved in the transactions, you gotta stick to the 'no committed data lost ever'. there's plenty of other use cases for that too.