Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Dell Poweredge server and Postgres

On 06/05/2010 07:20 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

My manager and I are looking at replacing a Sun x4540 server with a Dell server connected to a disk subsystem (or two). We're looking at the R710 servers connected to an MD1220 I believe (I'd have to look again at the quote).

why are you looking at replacing it?  you go onto say its working great.

The server is close to it's EOL. We're looking at extending the support contract and warranty for another 3 years. Even if we do that, we're looking at purchasing at least one more system and replicating the data to a DR site. With 2 TB of data it would take us a couple days to recover from a backup. Much longer than we want the database down in case of failure.

The new Oracle/Sun company has changed the config for the 4540. The smallest drives you can get are 1TB drives which more than doubles the price of the server. So we're looking at Dell, IBM, HP and so on.

I figured their sales / marketing would say they are faster than the Sun systems. I don't know a single sales geek who wouldn't say that. I have asked for comparisons and will be following up on it tomorrow. I'd like to see their numbers. I figured I'd ask for opinions. Guess I received a few :-)

thanks!