Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "1-Click" installer problems

On 1/04/2010 5:35 PM, Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:

It is not the count that matters. It is the quality. Even after giving
logs, your folks are unable to figure out the problem. I am facing the
same problem that was faced by a lot of users on the forum and not one
was resolved successfully. Otherwise I would've moved ahead on my own. I
am interested in fixing the installer. I am not interested in manual
steps to get it working on my PC because there are a hundred other PCs
that I have to worry about and a fix in the installer would be right
step ahead. But someone has to admit that there is a problem in the
installer. All arguments in this thread are junk because 8.3 installer
for win32 from postgresql.org WORKS using the same conditions on
Vista/2003/7 everywhere. It is nothing to do with APPDATA or any such
thing.

Something that worked was broken, it's that simple. And nobody
wants to know what was.

Actually, we all want to know what it was. But you're not helping us find out - see Sachin's request that you run the initcluster.vbs script to collect some debug info.

One thing you need to understand is that nothing has been "broken". Here's how it was:

      MSI INSTALLER                ONECLICK INSTALLER
8.3    [available]                   [available]
8.4   [discontinued]                 [available]

The MSI installer is *completely* *different*. It's not like Pg switched over. The .msi installer was dropped because it was silly to duplicate work that EDB was going to do anyway.

You perceive something as having been broken, but in fact you're using a _different_ _product_ now. It's not working for you, and that is something that needs addressing, but it's not like there was some change that can just be reverted.

Now, clearly there's something _different_ about your machines that makes the EDB installer fail on them, and not most systems. Let's try to figure out what it is.

The reason I posted this in the general newsgroup is because I thought
others would like to know what's going on. But I think this is a
newsgroup with a bunch of inflated egos who want to do everything else
rather than address the problem.

You're rather selectively ignoring the people who're asking you for more details, and trying to explain that since it works for them, they need to figure out what makes your setup different in order to fix the problem.

Nobody's claiming the EDB installer is perfect anyway. They're just pointing out that "doesn't work for you" isn't the same as "doesn't work for anyone, broken and awful".

--
Craig Ringer