Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "1-Click" installer problems

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see 5 responses from 2 of our
engineers over the last 2 days on that thread, all asking valid
questions and trying to figure out why this is failing for you, when
it does not for the vast majority of other users. I appreciate that
you do not want to do a manual installation, but for us to understand
why it is failing in your particular case, we need to do some
exploration.

It is not the count that matters. It is the quality. Even after giving logs, your folks are unable to figure out the problem. I am facing the same problem that was faced by a lot of users on the forum and not one was resolved successfully. Otherwise I would've moved ahead on my own. I am interested in fixing the installer. I am not interested in manual steps to get it working on my PC because there are a hundred other PCs that I have to worry about and a fix in the installer would be right step ahead. But someone has to admit that there is a problem in the installer. All arguments in this thread are junk because 8.3 installer for win32 from postgresql.org WORKS using the same conditions on Vista/2003/7 everywhere. It is nothing to do with APPDATA or any such thing. Something that worked was broken, it's that simple. And nobody wants to know what was.

Sachin told you how to install in a nutshell, but I guess you missed
that so here are the detail walkthrough instructions:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/learning/pginst_guide.do

I don't think that's bad for *free* support.

If you mean the number of responses, yes it's great.

The reason I posted this in the general newsgroup is because I thought others would like to know what's going on. But I think this is a newsgroup with a bunch of inflated egos who want to do everything else rather than address the problem. A typical open-source group. Evangelizing PGSQL was a mistake.

Thanks for all your help and good luck to everyone!
-n.