Search Postgresql Archives

Re: User action accounting

On 3/30/2010 11:13 AM, Joshua Berry wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Andy Colson <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    When your app/users connect to the db, do they connect as the same
    user, or each with a different username?

The application instances each connect to the database with the same
username. The application currently uses an ODBC connection which has
hard coded username values. If each user has their own workstation, this
would be easy, but I want to be able to specify the username when the
application begins. I'm not worried about the security aspect; I just
want to present users with an easy way to specify who they are to aid in
tracking.

    Do you have your own "users" table?

There is a "users" table currently used for another purpose, but it
could be reused/extended.

If I go the route of keeping the same role for each application
instance, it would be great if I could avoid having to pass the username
into each query and instead have a per-session or per-connection
variable that the trigger could access. Sounds easy, but I've never
tried it before and things not usually as easy as they seem.

Regards,

-Joshua

I ask because there is a CURRENT_UESR you can use in a trigger. It is who you connect to the db as. Which in your case all users would have the same name. But.. there is also a set role:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-set-role.html

So after you connect you could fire off a "set role bob", and the triggers would use 'bob' as current_user.

Or something like that. You'd also have to create all the users on the pg side (create role...). I have not done this, its just "in theory it should work".

-Andy