Search Postgresql Archives

Re: User action accounting

On 3/30/2010 10:03 AM, Joshua Berry wrote:
Hello All,

I have a few PHP/Clarion based applications that don't currently track
who created and modified records. I'd like to be able to track all user
and timestamp pairs for INSERT/UPDATEs by way of triggers.

The problem is that I currently use the same role name for each instance
of the application, so "current_user" is not particularly helpful.  So I
have a few ideas that I wanted to bounce off the experts here:
1. Should I use seperate PG roles for each user? Is there a way of
permitting user names queried against a RADIUS server to inherit a role
allowing the needed permissions (trusting that the RADIUS server is
secured) and allowing the requested name to be used without having to
maintain two lists of accounts?
2. Should I stay with using the same role for the application, but
somehow store a per session variable that would have the user's login
name and be accessible by the triggers?

Anyhow, the goal is to be able to note which of the 40 users
created/modified records in the backend. I'm sure that this has been
solved by each person and has been asked a million times... I'm just not
sure where to begin with Google/postgresql.net <http://postgresql.net>
queries! Please feel free to reply with a helpful search query or URL.

Kind Regards,
-Joshua

Joshua Berry

When your app/users connect to the db, do they connect as the same user, or each with a different username?

Do you have your own "users" table?

-Andy